Skip to content

About ICT

International Childcare Trust (ICT) believes that all children regardless of socio-economic background have the right to enjoy their childhood and to reach their potential.

Who they are

International Childcare Trust is a small, dynamic, UK charity with low overheads and their work is about ensuring that vulnerable children have a future. To achieve this they partner with local organisations in East Africa and Asia. Their projects adopt four key aims to: provide quality education and training; improve health; promote secure livelihoods and provide protection from harm.  International Childcare Trust also develops the capacity of their partner organisations through information sharing and training opportunities so they can manage and sustain their activities on their own on a longer-term basis, without ongoing support from International Childcare Trust.

The facts

There is an immense need for ICT’s work as:

  • 9.6 million children under five die each year (26,340 each day) due to poverty;
  • 93 million children not in school in 2005-2006
  • 158 million children between 5 and 14 are engaged in child labour and 2 million children are involved in prostitution;
  • 1.5 billion children (2/3 of the world’s child population) lived in 42 countries affected by violent, high-intensity conflict between 2002-2006;
  • 15.2 million children globally orphaned by AIDS (2005), 12 million in Africa and 2.3 million children under 15 are living with HIV;
  • 132.7 million children globally orphaned due to all causes
  • 17% of under 5 deaths are due to diarrhoeal diseases (15% are due to malaria, measles and AIDS combined);
  • 270 million (14%) of children in developing countries have no access to health services; and
  • Two thirds of child deaths are entirely preventable.

In 2001, the United Nations estimated that the street children population (3 to 18 years of age) worldwide was 150 million, with the number rising daily. Approximately 40% of these children are homeless and the other 60% work the streets to support their families.  Some sources estimate that this number will increase to 800 million by the year 2020.

What they do

ICT currently works in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, India and Nepal with key Southern partner NGOs who take an integrated approach to child development combining the delivery of practical assistance with capacity building and advocacy initiatives.

Practical assistance includes supporting direct benefits to disadvantaged children, their families and communities, e.g. quality education, improved healthcare, income generation schemes, vocational training, rehabilitation and reintegration of children with their families and communities. They always enhance the capacity of their partner organisations through information sharing and training opportunities and help promote their partners’ projects through raising international profiles, offering expert advice and helping to raise much needed funds.

ICT achieve these objectives by designing, implementing and managing projects in conjunction with local people according to their needs and within the culture of the country of operation. Projects are managed and staffed by local people.

Working with other organisations

ICT is careful to support work that is not already adequately supported by other local, national and international organisation. They look for where there are gaps.

ICT is a member of both the British Overseas NGOs working for Development (BOND) and the Consortium for Street Children (CSC). Membership within these two umbrella bodies provides opportunities for the ICT team to partake in meetings and workshops with other NGOs. Participation within networks helps that ICT team to develop a better understanding of:

1)    development ‘best practice’

2)    our own policy thinking

3)    how ICT’s work complements other NGOs

Where your money goes

By choosing to take part in sponsoring our trip you will help ICT to continue to support programmes that protect the rights of, and provide opportunities to, some of the world’s poorest and most marginalised children and young people.

  • £5 will pay for tetanus vaccinations for 20 kids.
  • £40 will enable an orphaned child to buy a school uniform and shoes.  These basics allow orphans the opportunity to enroll in primary school and restart their lives.
  • £50 will pay for the salary of an outreach teacher in the slum areas, providing informal education to young children, unable to access our bigger centers.
  • £105 would help to provide bursaries for three deprived young people looking for options for the future.  They can benefit from skills training in cookery, sewing, mechanics, plumbing, English and computers.
  • £250 will pay for slides and safe play equipment for a community playground in the slum areas.


To donate, click here

%d bloggers like this: